- Head lice are tiny insects which live and breed in human hair.
- Lice tend to prefer clean hair to dirty hair, so an infestation does not indicate poor personal hygiene.
- Lice cannot jump or fly - they are transmitted by direct head to head contact or by infected items such as combs, brushes, hats etc.
- Treat quickly to prevent the lice spreading to family and friends.
- All articles which may harbour lice or their eggs (nits) such as clothes, towels, bed linen, combs and brushes should be washed at the time of treatment to avoid reinfestation.